In The News
WildflowerSightings.org was mentioned and/or linked in the following recent articles:
- 3/30/2015 - Houston Chronicle - Bluebonnet bumper crop lures Texas' spring pilgrims
- 3/25/2015 - KXAN - This spring's bluebonnet season will be 'stunning'
- 3/18/2015 - Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - Press Release
- 3/18/2015 - NBCDFW.com - Experts Expect Great Wildflower Season in Texas
- 3/18/2015 - The Gilmer Mirror - Fall, Winter Rains Will Bring Great Wildflower Displays in Much of Texas
- 2/12/2015 - USA Today - Hate the snow? Spring is blooming in these places (even if they got who we are wrong - the link text is 'Texas Department of Transportation's site')
We are software developers with a love of the outdoors and nature resulting in the development of a simple posting site 'Wild about Texas Wildflowers' on the Lone Star Internet, Inc. site around 1998. The site became popular with visitors utilizing the tools to post wildflower sightings and identify wildflowers. In 2011 we developed WildflowerSightings.org to expand on the vision of the original site expanding the database to store more information on plants and allow more complex searches including bloom period and color as well as growing area. We implemented maps, made the site mobile device friendly, and allow users to upload photographs along with their sightings.
Help us develop the most extensive and comprehensive wildflower database in the world! We're not asking for money. Please support WildflowerSightings.org with your knowledge and experiences!
We've been busy lately!
- Tighten up mobile version styles
- Fix retention of photos on sighting validation error
- Add tests for maps, plant searches
- Remove over zealous caching causing issues submitting and displaying sightings
- Add page caching to speed up load time
- Hopefully fix photo orientation issues
- Resolve some pagination issues
- Fix some sightings form submission issues
- Show unidentified plant photos with sighting if submitted with a sighting
- Added some directions to the Gallery add/edit form to help users decide if they should be creating a Gallery or a Sighting.
- Resolved an issue with reading image orientation information off uploaded photos. This should keep visitors from hurting their necks turning their heads sideways to view a photo that wasn't properly oriented.
- Resolved an issue with the search by bloom period. Now you should be able to search the Plant and Flower Database by location, bloom color, and bloom period to narrow your search results and help you identify that flower!
- We've started pulling GPS data off uploaded photos. We haven't started using it yet, but it may be useful at some point.
Help us add to the wish list by submitting a contact form with your suggestions.
- Sighting routes (chain sightings together into a route)
- User badges - reward users with frequent submissions
- Multiple languages
- Create api for database access
- iPhone / Android apps
- Search plants using photos